Skip to main content

Inspiration

So, in my reading lately, I decided that I get awful critical when I read.  I think this likely comes as a result of being an English major.  In starting this blog, I've decided that what I want to do is post a critical reading of some popular books, some not so popular books, and classics.  This could very well be one of my more brilliant ideas, or it could be just plain silly.

Before I really cut to the chase, I feel the need to put some disclaimers up.

Disclaimer #1: All observations are based on my interpretations.  They are neither correct nor incorrect.  Such is the nature of literary analysis.  I call it as I see it.  Everyone sees the same text differently, so don't be afraid to disagree.  Friendly disagreement is acceptable.  However in saying this, I must alter a quote by a famous man.  Do not judge me because I read differently than you.

Disclaimer #2:  This will contain spoilers.  I wouldn't advise reading the posts about the books I'm currently plowing through unless a) you have read the book, or b) don't care to know what the ending is.  Otherwise you may find that you have spoiled the ending for yourself.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

Disclaimer #3: I mean no disrespect to the respective authors of books I'm evaluating.  Every author has a different style of writing, and my personal style may not line up with the author who I am reading.  My goal in this is not to tear down other people's writing.  My goal is to help other people read critically and evaluate books, life lessons, morals, or other such items as they see it.  As long as you can support a claim from a text, it's there, whether intended by the author(s) or not.

In addition to posting critical analysis of various books, I may also post various tips for people who are aspiring to be authors.  I'm an aspiring author myself and have been for quite some time.  I've practiced writing a lot over the years, and have learned some things that have become useful to me in all kinds of writing (essays, novels, creative writing projects).  As with all advice, test it out to see if it works for you.  Every person has a different methodology.

At any rate, I believe this finishes up the first bit of this. Enjoy!

Popular posts from this blog

Markus Zusak: The Book Thief

 This is a book that I read for the first time around four years ago when I first started teaching. This novel is one that I have loved ever since then. The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak takes place in World War II in Nazi Germany. Liesel Meminger is not quite an orphan, but she is placed in foster care because her mother can't provide for her. Liesel goes to live with Rosa and Hans Hubermann, and they completely change Liesel's life. On her way to the Hubermann's, Liesel's younger brother dies on the train. In the graveyard where he was buried is where Liesel steals her first book: The Grave Digger's Handbook. Hans teaches her to read it, and inspires her love of the written word. The Hubermann's will then hide a Jew in their basement for a time. What will become of that hidden Jew? What will become of Liesel? What will become of Himmel Street, her friends, and her family in the wake of a violent and terrible war? This book is probably one of my all-time favorite...

Brene Brown: Daring Greatly

Brene Brown is one of my favorite TED speakers of all time. I have listened to her TED talks numerous times and used them in my classroom each year. I love her message: that we can't have success, innovation, change, and creativity without first having vulnerability. I love that she is seeking to demystify vulnerability and teach what shame is and how it destroys our ability to accept ourselves and others. I am not normally into the self-help kind of books, but of the books I've read this year, this is one of my favorites! Daring Greatly  by Brene Brown discusses the concepts of shame and vulnerability and how we need vulnerability, but not shame. She gives strategies for combating shame and becoming "shame resilient." She gives strategies to use as parents, teachers, friends, and spouses. For one thing, I love Dr. Brown's Texan accent (she narrates the audiobook herself! 💗). Her voice and personality are all throughout this book. She is not afraid to use persona...

Anthony Doerr - All the Light We Cannot See

 I'd heard about the Netflix series that adapted this, and many of my coworkers have read it. I also love World War II stories (if you can't tell by my historical fiction choices, haha). This book also won a major prize, and I was curious about the story. All the Light We Cannot See  follows two characters in two timelines. It bounces from the past to the present between Marie-Laure and Werner. Marie-Laure is a young girl who lives in Paris with her father. Her father works for the Museum of Natural History in Paris. As the Germans close in on Paris at the start of World War II, Daniel (Marie-Laure's father) is entrusted with one of the museum's priceless treasures: the Sea of Flames. He and Marie-Laure flee Paris to the home of Daniel's wealthy uncle, where they stay until the city is bombed. Werner is a poor German orphan in a mining town. He is particularly gifted with mathematics and engineering, and is given the opportunity to go to a prestigious Nazi school. H...