Skip to main content

Khaled Hosseini: And the Mountains Echoed

 After reading The Kite Runner a couple of years ago, I have really found a love for Khaled Hosseini and have been dying to dive into some of his other books. I have had a fascination with the Middle East since I studied it in college, so I've loved these novels.

And the Mountains Echoed is a gorgeously written novel flowing through a multi-generational story of a villager from Shadbagh, Afghanistan. Each section of this novel is told through the perspective of a different character - first from Abdullah and last from his daughter Pari. Abdullah describes traveling to Kabul with his father, Saboor, and sister, Pari (who his daughter is eventually named after) where Pari is left with the wealthy Wahdatis to be raised. Pari never truly knows the truth about her former family until she is an adult when she is contacted by Markos Varvaris, a Greek doctor doing humanitarian work in Kabul. Markos rented the home in Kabul that once belonged to Mr. Wahdati. Markos received a letter from Mr. Wahdati's chauffeur, Nabi (Pari's true uncle), explaining everything. Markos tracks Pari down in Paris, France where she begins to draw the connections of her past.

This story is complex simply because it is really several stories all in one book, making it difficult to summarize. However, this book was beautifully written. Each character's unique and distinct voice is engaging, some more than others. Perhaps it was just the audiobook, but I struggled with some of the stories - and this is probably my only real criticism of the novel. Ultimately, Nabi's story and Aunt Pari's and niece Pari's stories were the most intriguing. Hosseini includes beautiful detail, and he's not afraid to point out the gruesome, ugly side of the wars that have torn Afghanistan apart. This novel is truly a work of art, and probably one of my favorite books ever.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Markus Zusak: The Book Thief

 This is a book that I read for the first time around four years ago when I first started teaching. This novel is one that I have loved ever since then. The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak takes place in World War II in Nazi Germany. Liesel Meminger is not quite an orphan, but she is placed in foster care because her mother can't provide for her. Liesel goes to live with Rosa and Hans Hubermann, and they completely change Liesel's life. On her way to the Hubermann's, Liesel's younger brother dies on the train. In the graveyard where he was buried is where Liesel steals her first book: The Grave Digger's Handbook. Hans teaches her to read it, and inspires her love of the written word. The Hubermann's will then hide a Jew in their basement for a time. What will become of that hidden Jew? What will become of Liesel? What will become of Himmel Street, her friends, and her family in the wake of a violent and terrible war? This book is probably one of my all-time favorite...

Brene Brown: Daring Greatly

Brene Brown is one of my favorite TED speakers of all time. I have listened to her TED talks numerous times and used them in my classroom each year. I love her message: that we can't have success, innovation, change, and creativity without first having vulnerability. I love that she is seeking to demystify vulnerability and teach what shame is and how it destroys our ability to accept ourselves and others. I am not normally into the self-help kind of books, but of the books I've read this year, this is one of my favorites! Daring Greatly  by Brene Brown discusses the concepts of shame and vulnerability and how we need vulnerability, but not shame. She gives strategies for combating shame and becoming "shame resilient." She gives strategies to use as parents, teachers, friends, and spouses. For one thing, I love Dr. Brown's Texan accent (she narrates the audiobook herself! 💗). Her voice and personality are all throughout this book. She is not afraid to use persona...

Anthony Doerr - All the Light We Cannot See

 I'd heard about the Netflix series that adapted this, and many of my coworkers have read it. I also love World War II stories (if you can't tell by my historical fiction choices, haha). This book also won a major prize, and I was curious about the story. All the Light We Cannot See  follows two characters in two timelines. It bounces from the past to the present between Marie-Laure and Werner. Marie-Laure is a young girl who lives in Paris with her father. Her father works for the Museum of Natural History in Paris. As the Germans close in on Paris at the start of World War II, Daniel (Marie-Laure's father) is entrusted with one of the museum's priceless treasures: the Sea of Flames. He and Marie-Laure flee Paris to the home of Daniel's wealthy uncle, where they stay until the city is bombed. Werner is a poor German orphan in a mining town. He is particularly gifted with mathematics and engineering, and is given the opportunity to go to a prestigious Nazi school. H...