Skip to main content

Walter Tevis: The Queen's Gambit

 I saw the limited series on Netflix. I was intimidated at first, because I don't know anything about chess except the very basic rules. But the show was extremely well done, and even though I didn't know the moves or anything about the matches, the show did an excellent job of explaining what was going on. My brother then gave me the novel the show is based off of for Christmas. I was excited to read it!

Netflix's decision to make it into a miniseries was wise, in my opinion. It allowed them to adequately adapt the book to film, and it was fun to compare the two. The creators of the series definitely took some license with the novel, but in the end, I was really impressed with both works.

The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis follows the orphan Elizabeth Harmon. Elizabeth starts out at an orphanage upon the death of her mother. While there, she is taught to play chess by the janitor while she's supposed to be in class. Around the time Beth turns thirteen, she is adopted by Mr. and Mrs. Wheatley. Mr. Wheatley soon leaves the family, and Beth decides to start playing chess competitively. She wins the Kentucky State Championship as an unrated player in her first ever tournament. Beth then goes on to continue competing in tournaments around the U.S. Does she have what it takes to become a world class champion? Or will her alcohol addiction and abuse of prescription tranquillizers ruin her talent?

 In all, I LOVED the novel. I loved the descriptions of the matches. I loved Beth's inner narration. I loved all of the characters. You do not need to understand chess fully to be sucked into this riveting novel. It's a quick read, barely over 200 pages. I loved that the book is not only about chess, but it also deals with some pretty heavy topics like divorce, alcoholism, and the loss of parents. I liked that Tevis is not afraid to let his main character struggle and FAIL. Beth does not win every single match, and I think that's significant. Many authors give their main characters some convenient out so that they don't always hit rock bottom. Beth hits rock bottom and she hits it hard.

I think my only real complaint was some of the characters are mentioned, they make a big impact on Beth, and then we never see them again. I would have liked the story to resolve things with Townes (he competed in the Kentucky state championship as well, and Beth beat him too, but she runs into him a couple of other times) in particular, whom Beth always had a huge crush on. This is something the series did that I thought was better than the novel - they came back to Townes, and even Beltick (the former Kentucky state champion Beth beat at her first tournament) came back as well. I was a little bothered by Tevis being "done" with a character and they almost get forgotten.

In all, this was one of my favorite novels that I've read in a long time.

I rate this book ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I would rate this as PG-13 - there is quite a bit of sexual content and drug use.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Markus Zusak: The Book Thief

 This is a book that I read for the first time around four years ago when I first started teaching. This novel is one that I have loved ever since then. The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak takes place in World War II in Nazi Germany. Liesel Meminger is not quite an orphan, but she is placed in foster care because her mother can't provide for her. Liesel goes to live with Rosa and Hans Hubermann, and they completely change Liesel's life. On her way to the Hubermann's, Liesel's younger brother dies on the train. In the graveyard where he was buried is where Liesel steals her first book: The Grave Digger's Handbook. Hans teaches her to read it, and inspires her love of the written word. The Hubermann's will then hide a Jew in their basement for a time. What will become of that hidden Jew? What will become of Liesel? What will become of Himmel Street, her friends, and her family in the wake of a violent and terrible war? This book is probably one of my all-time favorite...

Brene Brown: Daring Greatly

Brene Brown is one of my favorite TED speakers of all time. I have listened to her TED talks numerous times and used them in my classroom each year. I love her message: that we can't have success, innovation, change, and creativity without first having vulnerability. I love that she is seeking to demystify vulnerability and teach what shame is and how it destroys our ability to accept ourselves and others. I am not normally into the self-help kind of books, but of the books I've read this year, this is one of my favorites! Daring Greatly  by Brene Brown discusses the concepts of shame and vulnerability and how we need vulnerability, but not shame. She gives strategies for combating shame and becoming "shame resilient." She gives strategies to use as parents, teachers, friends, and spouses. For one thing, I love Dr. Brown's Texan accent (she narrates the audiobook herself! 💗). Her voice and personality are all throughout this book. She is not afraid to use persona...

Anthony Doerr - All the Light We Cannot See

 I'd heard about the Netflix series that adapted this, and many of my coworkers have read it. I also love World War II stories (if you can't tell by my historical fiction choices, haha). This book also won a major prize, and I was curious about the story. All the Light We Cannot See  follows two characters in two timelines. It bounces from the past to the present between Marie-Laure and Werner. Marie-Laure is a young girl who lives in Paris with her father. Her father works for the Museum of Natural History in Paris. As the Germans close in on Paris at the start of World War II, Daniel (Marie-Laure's father) is entrusted with one of the museum's priceless treasures: the Sea of Flames. He and Marie-Laure flee Paris to the home of Daniel's wealthy uncle, where they stay until the city is bombed. Werner is a poor German orphan in a mining town. He is particularly gifted with mathematics and engineering, and is given the opportunity to go to a prestigious Nazi school. H...