Skip to main content

John Green: Everything is Tuberculosis: The History and Persistence of Our Deadliest Infection

 John Green is a world-famous author, but he isn't typically known for nonfiction. Instead, Looking for Alaska, The Fault in Our Stars, and his other works are typically geared toward teen readers. However, this book is different. I started following John Green on Instagram maybe a year or so ago, and enjoyed his reels. There was a definite shift in them after a while, as Green started talking more and more about Tuberculosis. I was fascinated by his perspective on the disease, and so I've wanted to read this book. There are bonus points with this one, because I'm also planning on adding it to my AP curriculum.

Everything is Tuberculosis explains just that: how so many things are tied to TB. Green discusses the history of the disease, how treatments were developed, and (I think) most importantly, the stigma tied to TB. It all started years ago in Sierra Leone, where Green was visiting with an organization he works with. He wasn't there to study TB, but a different crisis. While there, he met a young man named Henry who suffered from a drug-resistant strain of the disease. The book follows his story as well.

I loved this book a lot. I thought it was interesting, well written overall, and a criticism of rich Western nations who gatekeep access to medical care. Green's bias is clear, as is his feeling of gratitude for the privilege of living in a country where healthcare is easy to access. This bias didn't bother me at all.

I found his dissection of stigma and the perceptions people have of disease, and particularly TB, to be fascinating. I appreciated how he approached TB and also the discussion of money and how to solve the TB crisis in Africa.

This is a short book (not even 200 pages), but I thought his research was thorough, and he intertwined Henry's story expertly. The draw of Henry's personal story kept me reading, and I found myself hoping and hoping that Henry would survive TB. I think this expert narrative was carried over from Green's novel skills. I appreciated how he paced this book.

I did find the beginning a little disorganized, and I felt like Green overused the phrase "It should be noted here" or other variations. It got old after a while, but I feel like this is probably how he thinks, so I understand why it's there. These were really my only two gripes with the book.

To learn more about Henry and his story, you can find his YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@Tuberculosis-l1jSurvivorHenry/

I rated this book: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Markus Zusak: The Book Thief

 This is a book that I read for the first time around four years ago when I first started teaching. This novel is one that I have loved ever since then. The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak takes place in World War II in Nazi Germany. Liesel Meminger is not quite an orphan, but she is placed in foster care because her mother can't provide for her. Liesel goes to live with Rosa and Hans Hubermann, and they completely change Liesel's life. On her way to the Hubermann's, Liesel's younger brother dies on the train. In the graveyard where he was buried is where Liesel steals her first book: The Grave Digger's Handbook. Hans teaches her to read it, and inspires her love of the written word. The Hubermann's will then hide a Jew in their basement for a time. What will become of that hidden Jew? What will become of Liesel? What will become of Himmel Street, her friends, and her family in the wake of a violent and terrible war? This book is probably one of my all-time favorite...

Brene Brown: Daring Greatly

Brene Brown is one of my favorite TED speakers of all time. I have listened to her TED talks numerous times and used them in my classroom each year. I love her message: that we can't have success, innovation, change, and creativity without first having vulnerability. I love that she is seeking to demystify vulnerability and teach what shame is and how it destroys our ability to accept ourselves and others. I am not normally into the self-help kind of books, but of the books I've read this year, this is one of my favorites! Daring Greatly  by Brene Brown discusses the concepts of shame and vulnerability and how we need vulnerability, but not shame. She gives strategies for combating shame and becoming "shame resilient." She gives strategies to use as parents, teachers, friends, and spouses. For one thing, I love Dr. Brown's Texan accent (she narrates the audiobook herself! 💗). Her voice and personality are all throughout this book. She is not afraid to use persona...

Anthony Doerr - All the Light We Cannot See

 I'd heard about the Netflix series that adapted this, and many of my coworkers have read it. I also love World War II stories (if you can't tell by my historical fiction choices, haha). This book also won a major prize, and I was curious about the story. All the Light We Cannot See  follows two characters in two timelines. It bounces from the past to the present between Marie-Laure and Werner. Marie-Laure is a young girl who lives in Paris with her father. Her father works for the Museum of Natural History in Paris. As the Germans close in on Paris at the start of World War II, Daniel (Marie-Laure's father) is entrusted with one of the museum's priceless treasures: the Sea of Flames. He and Marie-Laure flee Paris to the home of Daniel's wealthy uncle, where they stay until the city is bombed. Werner is a poor German orphan in a mining town. He is particularly gifted with mathematics and engineering, and is given the opportunity to go to a prestigious Nazi school. H...