Skip to main content

Ernest Cline: Ready Player 1 - Ready Player 1 book 1

 This book was wildly popular when it came out, and both my dad and my sister liked it (well, my dad LOVED it, but that's a different story). I've been meaning to read it for ages, and finally got around to it.

Wade Watts is a Gunter - fascinated with the contest set by eccentric video game creator James Halliday, which asks internet users to find his legendary egg. Gunters must dive into 80's pop and nerd culture to find the answer to the clue left by Halliday. In a world where everything revolves around the OASIS and virtual reality, this is Wade's one escape. As he discovers the secret to the hunt, suddenly Wade finds himself famous and embroiled in the center of a corporate scheme to control the internet. Can Wade open all the gates before the corporate goons (called Sixers)?

This might be a hot take, and that's ok.... I found the book boring. I get the nostalgia factor for someone who grew up in the 80s (probably dates me but oh well). I got tired of the trivia. I can appreciate quite a bit of 80's nerd culture. This is why my dad loves it so much, and I got a lot of the references (the classic scene from Monty Python was 🔥). This book really is a love song to the 80s. For me, the constant trivia aspect of the book made the plot drag, and I found myself skimming more of it than reading.

I didn't love Wade. I found him obnoxious (though not overly whiney, so there's that), and I got tired of him moping over Art3mis for half the book. Wade goes so far as to get a sex doll that he thankfully ultimately ditches. I found that whole part of the escapade distasteful (and I guess it makes sense, but it wasn't necessary).

Because Wade is often a solitary character, there isn't much dialogue. I think this is why we spend so much time embedded in 80s trivia. Again, when deployed well, dialogue can help move the plot, and I think this might be why I got bored with it.

I found the worldbuilding at the start of the novel difficult to get through. I think that there are more strategic ways than just spewing worldbuilding for the first three chapters, with very little happening (look, here's my iceberg!). I really struggled to get into this book because of it, and I almost DNF'd it.

I'm glad I stuck with it, though. I did end up enjoying the ending. I thought the way everything played out was good (if a little deus ex). I liked the last lines of the book in particular.

I rated this book ⭐⭐⭐



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Markus Zusak: The Book Thief

 This is a book that I read for the first time around four years ago when I first started teaching. This novel is one that I have loved ever since then. The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak takes place in World War II in Nazi Germany. Liesel Meminger is not quite an orphan, but she is placed in foster care because her mother can't provide for her. Liesel goes to live with Rosa and Hans Hubermann, and they completely change Liesel's life. On her way to the Hubermann's, Liesel's younger brother dies on the train. In the graveyard where he was buried is where Liesel steals her first book: The Grave Digger's Handbook. Hans teaches her to read it, and inspires her love of the written word. The Hubermann's will then hide a Jew in their basement for a time. What will become of that hidden Jew? What will become of Liesel? What will become of Himmel Street, her friends, and her family in the wake of a violent and terrible war? This book is probably one of my all-time favorite...

Brene Brown: Daring Greatly

Brene Brown is one of my favorite TED speakers of all time. I have listened to her TED talks numerous times and used them in my classroom each year. I love her message: that we can't have success, innovation, change, and creativity without first having vulnerability. I love that she is seeking to demystify vulnerability and teach what shame is and how it destroys our ability to accept ourselves and others. I am not normally into the self-help kind of books, but of the books I've read this year, this is one of my favorites! Daring Greatly  by Brene Brown discusses the concepts of shame and vulnerability and how we need vulnerability, but not shame. She gives strategies for combating shame and becoming "shame resilient." She gives strategies to use as parents, teachers, friends, and spouses. For one thing, I love Dr. Brown's Texan accent (she narrates the audiobook herself! 💗). Her voice and personality are all throughout this book. She is not afraid to use persona...

Anthony Doerr - All the Light We Cannot See

 I'd heard about the Netflix series that adapted this, and many of my coworkers have read it. I also love World War II stories (if you can't tell by my historical fiction choices, haha). This book also won a major prize, and I was curious about the story. All the Light We Cannot See  follows two characters in two timelines. It bounces from the past to the present between Marie-Laure and Werner. Marie-Laure is a young girl who lives in Paris with her father. Her father works for the Museum of Natural History in Paris. As the Germans close in on Paris at the start of World War II, Daniel (Marie-Laure's father) is entrusted with one of the museum's priceless treasures: the Sea of Flames. He and Marie-Laure flee Paris to the home of Daniel's wealthy uncle, where they stay until the city is bombed. Werner is a poor German orphan in a mining town. He is particularly gifted with mathematics and engineering, and is given the opportunity to go to a prestigious Nazi school. H...