Skip to main content

2022 Reading in Review

 I thought it might be fun to look at my reading challenge from last year and look at what I enjoyed the most. I picked my top 5 favorite books from 2022 to highlight one more time. Choosing only five was actually more difficult than I imagined, since I had a lot of favorites. It was also hard to rank them if I'm completely honest, but here is my list!

#5 - The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill

I loved this book. I loved the whimsical storytelling style and the plot. I loved the characters and how they were developed. I loved how the author carefully crafted the foreshadowing and how she carefully guided you through the mystery of Xan's memories. Overall, this book was so well written. Even though it was a middle grade book, I found myself unable to put it down.

#4 - I Must Betray You by Ruta Sepetys

If you've followed my blog, then you probably know that I don't usually care much for Ruta Septys's writing. It's not that I dislike the stories she tells, I just feel that she has some integral problems with her story telling style. I Must Betray You had none of the usual problems I have with Sepetys's novels. In fact, this book was amazing. I LOVED the intrigue of the story. The fear of the characters was palpable and carried through the story well. I loved the resolution, and felt that for once, the ending actually fit the story well. I loved the way she unraveled the mystery, and told a story that isn't told often here in the U.S. Overall, I again, found myself unable to put the book down. I enjoyed it so much!

#3 Cytonic by Brandon Sanderson

My list would not be complete without a Brandon Sanderson novel on it. I was initially disappointed about the size of this book, as it was quite a bit shorter than the others in the series so far. As a sequel, however, it did not disappoint. I loved the direction Sanderson chose to take the story. It's led down a new path, with so many possibilities. I loved the characters, and I loved seeing Spensa grow further. It's crazy the amount of character development that has taken place over the course of the series, and I've loved it. I enjoyed the storyline, and the mysteries that Spensa is able to unravel. This one was another one that I couldn't put down.

#2 The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

I have loved these books! I cannot wait to read the third installment, whenever I get around to it. I love the intrigue of the novels, and I love the characters. I love the way that Avery and the Hawthorne brothers unravel the mysteries of the past to discover who Avery really is. Barnes has a fantastic method for writing a mystery novel with twists and turns that are difficult to predict. I loved this story!

#1 All My Rage by Sabaa Tahir

While I really enjoyed An Ember in the Ashes, I have to say that I loved this book even more. It was so drastically different than Tahir's fantasy, that I wasn't sure what to expect. This book did not disappoint. It was powerful and poignant. I loved the characters, and I groaned at every mistake Salahudin makes, knowing that it's going to come back and bite him, which it did. I loved unraveling what was happening to Noor. I loved that the characters had to pay for their consequences, and didn't just get off easily. This was a beautifully written story, and it's no wonder that it won several awards, including the National Book Award, because it is truly amazing.

I'm looking forward to 2023. I've already finished two books, the reviews for which will be coming soon! My goal for this year is to read 21 books. I know that doesn't sound like many, but with two kids, two cats, a dog, and a part time job, I think it will actually end up being quite challenging!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Markus Zusak: The Book Thief

 This is a book that I read for the first time around four years ago when I first started teaching. This novel is one that I have loved ever since then. The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak takes place in World War II in Nazi Germany. Liesel Meminger is not quite an orphan, but she is placed in foster care because her mother can't provide for her. Liesel goes to live with Rosa and Hans Hubermann, and they completely change Liesel's life. On her way to the Hubermann's, Liesel's younger brother dies on the train. In the graveyard where he was buried is where Liesel steals her first book: The Grave Digger's Handbook. Hans teaches her to read it, and inspires her love of the written word. The Hubermann's will then hide a Jew in their basement for a time. What will become of that hidden Jew? What will become of Liesel? What will become of Himmel Street, her friends, and her family in the wake of a violent and terrible war? This book is probably one of my all-time favorite...

Brene Brown: Daring Greatly

Brene Brown is one of my favorite TED speakers of all time. I have listened to her TED talks numerous times and used them in my classroom each year. I love her message: that we can't have success, innovation, change, and creativity without first having vulnerability. I love that she is seeking to demystify vulnerability and teach what shame is and how it destroys our ability to accept ourselves and others. I am not normally into the self-help kind of books, but of the books I've read this year, this is one of my favorites! Daring Greatly  by Brene Brown discusses the concepts of shame and vulnerability and how we need vulnerability, but not shame. She gives strategies for combating shame and becoming "shame resilient." She gives strategies to use as parents, teachers, friends, and spouses. For one thing, I love Dr. Brown's Texan accent (she narrates the audiobook herself! 💗). Her voice and personality are all throughout this book. She is not afraid to use persona...

Anthony Doerr - All the Light We Cannot See

 I'd heard about the Netflix series that adapted this, and many of my coworkers have read it. I also love World War II stories (if you can't tell by my historical fiction choices, haha). This book also won a major prize, and I was curious about the story. All the Light We Cannot See  follows two characters in two timelines. It bounces from the past to the present between Marie-Laure and Werner. Marie-Laure is a young girl who lives in Paris with her father. Her father works for the Museum of Natural History in Paris. As the Germans close in on Paris at the start of World War II, Daniel (Marie-Laure's father) is entrusted with one of the museum's priceless treasures: the Sea of Flames. He and Marie-Laure flee Paris to the home of Daniel's wealthy uncle, where they stay until the city is bombed. Werner is a poor German orphan in a mining town. He is particularly gifted with mathematics and engineering, and is given the opportunity to go to a prestigious Nazi school. H...