This was a book club book choice for this month. This was a really quick read. It took me about 45 minutes to get through.
Carlos and his family live in rural Cuba, on land that their family has owned for centuries. Carlos's grandparents and aunt are next door, and Carlos loves spending time with them and his friend, Alvaro. Then, Carlos's father wins the lottery, and moves the family to a big city. He starts a woodworking business that becomes very successful. But things change drastically for the family when Fidel Castro and his revolutionaries take over Cuba.
First, I had a hard time rating this book. It was good, so I gave it five stars, but I'll admit it didn't blow me away. I did like that it was about a time and place that I didn't know much about. The autobiographical nature of the story made it really personal.
The story itself was pretty simple and fast paced. There was not a lot of exploration of some of the deeper topics of the story.
I think the thing I didn't like was the dialogue. It felt really on-the-nose.
The pictures were beautiful, and I did love the visual part of the story.
I rated this ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Comments
Post a Comment