Skip to main content

Laura Amy Schlitz: The Winter of the Dollhouse

 OK, this was our book club book this month. It's another middle grade kind of book.

Tiph is new in town. Her parents (well her dad and step-mom) are occupied with her two younger siblings. While on a walk, Tiph comes across an elderly woman who seems to be struggling to walk her dog. Offering to help, Tiph discovers that the woman is alone and recovering from an operation. Tiph helps her, and finds herself with a job working for the old woman. Tiph loves dolls and has been eyeing one in a shop in the town (incidentally, where she also came across the old woman). The shop owner doesn't like kids much, and Tiph isn't allowed in his shop on account of being suspected of stealing a clock from the shop some months before. When she accompanies her new friend, Néni (Aunt) Szilvia, she steals a doll she has been eyeing for some time. Will this theft change her relationship with everyone?

OK, this summary doesn't really do the book justice. There are a lot of moving parts in the novel including chapters told from the stolen doll's perspective. This is where the "fantasy" element comes in.

I personally didn't hate this book, but I honestly didn't love it either. I rated it four stars because I felt that the last fifty pages or so really redeemed it. Let me try and break down what worked for me and what didn't.

Let's start with characters. Tiph was obnoxious. The entire book. I got really tired of her "woe is me" attitude, and also this sense of entitlement that she seems to have - "Life is hard for me, so I deserve this doll." I think it's probably pretty realistic for an 11 year old, but I didn't love it. Tiph is also extremely blunt and it made me cringe. There's also the theft element. Tiph is 11 and I think old enough to know that stealing is wrong, and she's done it twice. It kind of frustrated me that she stole the doll after stealing the clock and getting in trouble for it.

I also did not like Tiph's parents. Her step mom is this granola mother, and I found her insensitive. I also thought their "silent treatment as punishment" approach to parenting immature and unhelpful.

I like Szilvia for most of the book, but even she was quite grumpy.

This book is really long for a middle grade novel and this was something that came up in our book club discussion. I found it oddly long and very layered. There are a lot of subplots, and then the secondary story of the dolls. I felt that the doll story was unimportant for the most part and didn't add a whole lot to the story. The pacing of the book dragged, and at points in the middle was very repetitive.

The tie up of all of these sub plots was the most satisfying part of the novel. Like I said before, the ending is what I liked the most.

I rated this: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Markus Zusak: The Book Thief

 This is a book that I read for the first time around four years ago when I first started teaching. This novel is one that I have loved ever since then. The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak takes place in World War II in Nazi Germany. Liesel Meminger is not quite an orphan, but she is placed in foster care because her mother can't provide for her. Liesel goes to live with Rosa and Hans Hubermann, and they completely change Liesel's life. On her way to the Hubermann's, Liesel's younger brother dies on the train. In the graveyard where he was buried is where Liesel steals her first book: The Grave Digger's Handbook. Hans teaches her to read it, and inspires her love of the written word. The Hubermann's will then hide a Jew in their basement for a time. What will become of that hidden Jew? What will become of Liesel? What will become of Himmel Street, her friends, and her family in the wake of a violent and terrible war? This book is probably one of my all-time favorite...

Brene Brown: Daring Greatly

Brene Brown is one of my favorite TED speakers of all time. I have listened to her TED talks numerous times and used them in my classroom each year. I love her message: that we can't have success, innovation, change, and creativity without first having vulnerability. I love that she is seeking to demystify vulnerability and teach what shame is and how it destroys our ability to accept ourselves and others. I am not normally into the self-help kind of books, but of the books I've read this year, this is one of my favorites! Daring Greatly  by Brene Brown discusses the concepts of shame and vulnerability and how we need vulnerability, but not shame. She gives strategies for combating shame and becoming "shame resilient." She gives strategies to use as parents, teachers, friends, and spouses. For one thing, I love Dr. Brown's Texan accent (she narrates the audiobook herself! 💗). Her voice and personality are all throughout this book. She is not afraid to use persona...

Anthony Doerr - All the Light We Cannot See

 I'd heard about the Netflix series that adapted this, and many of my coworkers have read it. I also love World War II stories (if you can't tell by my historical fiction choices, haha). This book also won a major prize, and I was curious about the story. All the Light We Cannot See  follows two characters in two timelines. It bounces from the past to the present between Marie-Laure and Werner. Marie-Laure is a young girl who lives in Paris with her father. Her father works for the Museum of Natural History in Paris. As the Germans close in on Paris at the start of World War II, Daniel (Marie-Laure's father) is entrusted with one of the museum's priceless treasures: the Sea of Flames. He and Marie-Laure flee Paris to the home of Daniel's wealthy uncle, where they stay until the city is bombed. Werner is a poor German orphan in a mining town. He is particularly gifted with mathematics and engineering, and is given the opportunity to go to a prestigious Nazi school. H...