I have a portion of this series in my classroom library, so I've added it to my mystery reading sheet. I obtained the first book from the library, and was able to read it really quickly so the person who had it on hold could get the chance to read it as well.
The Eye of the Crow follows a 13 year old Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock is ditching school and reading the papers, looking at crimes and investigations. It is through these "sensational" papers, that he sees the murder of a woman in the Whitechapel neighborhood. Sherlock sees the primary suspect be arrested, an Arab boy only a little older than Sherlock himself, who whispers to Sherlock "I didn't do it!" Driven by this, Sherlock begins to investigate the case, only to find himself in the cell next to the Arab, accused of being an accomplice to the murder. Can Sherlock solve the case and save himself and the Arab?
This book was fairly quickly paced, and while the ending was kind of predictable, I enjoyed the process of Sherlock getting there.
I felt that Sherlock's character didn't feel totally true to how he's portrayed in other works, and especially movies. This kid is a loner, but he's not as blunt and rude to the people around him as he's often portrayed. I like the development of his street smarts, and the emphasis on his skills of observation and deduction. I thought some insight into his family was interesting.
I didn't love the present tense storytelling, and I think that was my biggest complaint with the book.
I rated it: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Comments
Post a Comment