Skip to main content

Fred Gipson: Old Yeller

 This book was the result of dice rolls. I originally got this book when my mother in law was downsizing her collection from her elementary school teaching days. I've never read it. I feel like in second grade, you read Old Yeller, or you read Where the Red Fern Grows, and I read Red Fern...

Old Yeller is a coming of age story that follows Travis and his family during a summer. Travis's father leaves with the other men and older boys of their settlement in Texas to take cattle to Kansas to the market. Travis is tasked with being "the man of the house" and helping his mother out with all of the household things, the farm, and watching over his brother Arliss. Everything is going well until an old dog shows up in the chickens, stealing the eggs. Travis hates the dog to start with, but grows to like him as he realizes how smart he is and what a spectacular help the dog is.

I knew going into this book that Yeller was going to die. You don't pick up a book like this about a dog and expect the dog to survive the story - it doesn't happen. I feel that maybe people might think me heartless, but I didn't really cry when the dog died. It's sad, and it sucks how the whole thing happens, but I guess because I knew it was coming...

OK, real review. This book has not really aged well. There are definitely some aspects of the novel that felt inappropriate for our time, mainly the racism around the Native Americans.

I personally didn't like the writing style of the book. I found Travis's dialect obnoxious to read. This doesn't always bother me (Huck Finn for example? Didn't bug me at all - I just read it in a Southern accent and it made sense). But for some reason, the way this book utilizes that dialect really bugged me. I also found Travis himself to be a little annoying and flat. He does have some character development, but it's slow and relatively minor.

This is an easy, elementary read, and I think most kids would like it. Rating these books is hard because they're really not written for me; they're geared toward kids who are learning to read. I personally think Where the Red Fern Grows is better, but that might be nostalgia talking.

I rated this ⭐⭐⭐



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Markus Zusak: The Book Thief

 This is a book that I read for the first time around four years ago when I first started teaching. This novel is one that I have loved ever since then. The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak takes place in World War II in Nazi Germany. Liesel Meminger is not quite an orphan, but she is placed in foster care because her mother can't provide for her. Liesel goes to live with Rosa and Hans Hubermann, and they completely change Liesel's life. On her way to the Hubermann's, Liesel's younger brother dies on the train. In the graveyard where he was buried is where Liesel steals her first book: The Grave Digger's Handbook. Hans teaches her to read it, and inspires her love of the written word. The Hubermann's will then hide a Jew in their basement for a time. What will become of that hidden Jew? What will become of Liesel? What will become of Himmel Street, her friends, and her family in the wake of a violent and terrible war? This book is probably one of my all-time favorite...

Brene Brown: Daring Greatly

Brene Brown is one of my favorite TED speakers of all time. I have listened to her TED talks numerous times and used them in my classroom each year. I love her message: that we can't have success, innovation, change, and creativity without first having vulnerability. I love that she is seeking to demystify vulnerability and teach what shame is and how it destroys our ability to accept ourselves and others. I am not normally into the self-help kind of books, but of the books I've read this year, this is one of my favorites! Daring Greatly  by Brene Brown discusses the concepts of shame and vulnerability and how we need vulnerability, but not shame. She gives strategies for combating shame and becoming "shame resilient." She gives strategies to use as parents, teachers, friends, and spouses. For one thing, I love Dr. Brown's Texan accent (she narrates the audiobook herself! 💗). Her voice and personality are all throughout this book. She is not afraid to use persona...

Anthony Doerr - All the Light We Cannot See

 I'd heard about the Netflix series that adapted this, and many of my coworkers have read it. I also love World War II stories (if you can't tell by my historical fiction choices, haha). This book also won a major prize, and I was curious about the story. All the Light We Cannot See  follows two characters in two timelines. It bounces from the past to the present between Marie-Laure and Werner. Marie-Laure is a young girl who lives in Paris with her father. Her father works for the Museum of Natural History in Paris. As the Germans close in on Paris at the start of World War II, Daniel (Marie-Laure's father) is entrusted with one of the museum's priceless treasures: the Sea of Flames. He and Marie-Laure flee Paris to the home of Daniel's wealthy uncle, where they stay until the city is bombed. Werner is a poor German orphan in a mining town. He is particularly gifted with mathematics and engineering, and is given the opportunity to go to a prestigious Nazi school. H...